Monday, March 3, 2008

Back to School, Back to School...

For those of you who aren't aware, in order to keep my job as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor I must become a CERTIFIED VR Counselor within 6 years of my date of hire. Which means getting my master's degree in Rehabilitation Counseling and sitting for the certification exam.



SO, I have been officially accepted to Utah State University and will begin classes this summer. A few points to note:

1) With the exception of 3 weeks of on-campus courses over the course of 3 summers, all of my courses are via distance education in the evenings.

2)It won't cost me a penny

3)The program is designed to accommodate individuals who are working as full-time VR counselors.

4)It won't cost me a penny

5)My employer is very accommodating, as in they set my work computer up with web cam, etc. to ensure that I can do the distance courses after work in my office.

6)Did I mention it won't cost me a penny? 1/2 of my tuition, book, and travel stipend are covered by the Rehab Services Administration with the understanding that I work 1 year as a VR counselor for every 12 credits they assist with. The other portion is covered by my employer. Not too shabby.



So I'm trying to get back into the school mindset, which isn't easy. I guess my biggest worry was taking the GRE after being out of college for 6 years so that I could even get accepted. Took that in October and I did okay, so I guess that means I won't be a total failure?!?



At any rate, it should take me 3-3.5 years to get this degree complete and sit for the certification exam.



Wish me luck!

2 comments:

BellaLovesPink said...

That's great Erin!! Congratulations!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it...especially since it's not costing you a penny! :-D

Anonymous said...

Was that not one penny?! Good luck! 3.5 years.... Hang in there.