Saturday, April 5, 2008

Caitlyn's Shiner

This post is an appropriate follow-up to last week. Caitlyn has a shiner that would lead some people to wonder if her parents are "unfit." I'm just about ready to attached my child to my hip so that her body remains intact through her second year of life.
Caitlyn is notorious for jumping on our bed, but I do want to note we don't encourage it and it seems like Caitlyn is often in time out for doing so. It's important to note that we have a king size pillow top sleigh bed, so it's up pretty high. At any rate, the other night Caitlyn was throwing the pillows off our bed and was told to pick them up and put them back. I turned my back for NO MORE THAN 2 SECONDS and I heard the most horrid sound. I turned around and Caitlyn was GUSHING blood. I don't know if she jumped or tripped on a pillow, but she smashed her face on the night stand. From that horrible noise I was sure she broke something, cracked her skull, or was unconscious.
I don't know if you've ever seen a toddler's smashed nose, but Caitlyn's was literally smooshed flat. The screaming was heart breaking and the blood was terrifying. We were both covered as was the wash cloth I was holding to her nose. Now here's the ironic part.
Had I not had a conversation with my secretary the very day prior, I would have rushed Caitlyn to the ER. However, the previous day my secretary was telling me of when her nephew smooshed his nose and was taken the ER at about Caitlyn's age. The ER doctor explained that at 2 years old, it's pretty impossible to break a nose because the cartilage is soft and pliable. The doctor had apparently molded the nephew's nose back in place and minus two black eyes, he was good as new.
SO, yep, after the blood slowed to a trickle, I molded little miss Caitlyn's nose back in place and she's good as new. MINUS the black eye, swelling, and the nice battle marks across the bridge of her nose. This was Caitlyn's first major boo-boo. Oh, aside from her trip the ER in August, her trip to Urgent Care for a major sprained ankle a few months back, oh and the life flight to Anchorage when she was 3 months old. What am I talking about; this child is destined for multiple stitches, broken bones, and major medical bills!







Looking a bit better today.


Notice the marks across the bridge of her nose?
What a sweetie. I love this photo.
Caitlyn is in the "I want to be just like Daddy and Mommy" stage.


Trying out the "big girl panties," which Caitlyn calls "candies"



Only 1 accident so far today....it's a step!

No comments: