Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Scoop on Poop

Since Madyson was born, Caitlyn regressed with potty training. It has been a struggle, and though she does pretty well with peeing in the potting, going #2 is another story. If you've read articles about kids who are afraid of pooping in the potty...it's true. We have one of those kids. It terrifies her to the point that she actually shakes. Amazingly, a year ago she pooped on the potty a couple of times with no problem....then it became a problem. We know her schedule, daycare knows her schedule, and yet we haven't been able to get her to go on the potty. Daycare puts a diaper on her at nap and like clockwork she fills it by the time she wakes up.
SO, I feel like I am constantly washing "accident" clothing.

Well, I think that Caitlyn is finally overcoming her fear. She is very motivated by moving on to the "big kid" room at daycare, which is the 3-4 year old room. A lot of her friends who are 4 are down there and she really misses playing with them. She can verbalize that in order to go to the big kid room, she has to poop and pee on the potty all of the time (kids have to be potty trained to move downstairs). We have had FOUR successes in the past week with #2, which is amazing progress for Caitlyn. I can't tell you how excited I was this morning to hear, "MOM, I have to go poop!" The secret? Robert's Pittsburg Steelers magazine...no kidding. Caitlyn can tell you who Ben Rothlesberger, Art Rooney, and other Steeler players and owners are. She focuses on the magazine and is able to make it through the "scary" process of #2 on the potty. It's quite comical to hear her point out all of the football players in the magazine, but hey, whatever works I don't think it will be much longer before she's diaper and pull-up free. She's mostly in panties, but in diapers or pull-ups for naps and at night. Boy, will that free up the monthly budget!

Madyson is starting to enjoy playing on her tummy and her neck is getting really strong. She is a very smiley baby and I think she's getting close to laughing. I can't wait to her her giggle! She loves her big sister and loves to watch her. Of course, Caitlyn thinks that's wonderful, as she has an audience.

Caitlyn feeding Logan, her favorite horse from the corral behind our house.


Sister bonding time.

1 comment:

Ryan and Trish said...

That has to be one of the funniest "motivators" for potty training I have ever heard...especially for a girl. Make sure you write that in her baby book; it might impress her future husband. Good contribution to the cause, Daddy Robert.