I am beginning to experience a great deal of anxiety over going back to work and putting Madyson in daycare. Only 2 weeks left of being at home with her. When Caitlyn was born I was home with her for a little over 3 months due to her being premature; Madyson will only be 7 weeks old when I return to work since I'll be out of paid leave. In addition, she will be going to a daycare "center" versus the smaller daycare "home" that Caitlyn went to when I returned to work in Alaska. Even though the babies are in a separate "baby room," the old kids still play with them and I'm worried about her getting sick. I know, I know...such is life. Maybe it doesn't help that our pediatrician referred to daycare centers as "germ factories." Must be nice to not HAVE to place your childen in the care of others.
I'm also a bit worried about the whole feeding issue at daycare. This really is a whole new experience for me since Madyson was full-term. With Caitlyn I knew exactly how much she ate and she was on a pretty structured feeding schedule since she had special formula mixed with breast milk. I also had TON of milk frozen for Caitlyn that had been saved while she was in the NICU. I think I have about 30 oz. saved for Madyson right now and I have NO clue how much she actually eats at each feeding. I guess I'm worried that milk will get wasted at daycare if they thaw out too much for a feeding or that she won't get enough to eat. She also is NOT a fan of a bottle right now and very much prefers the comfort of Mommy when she eats. TRYING to look at the bright side, I know that pumping at work will be much easier this time around since I have my own office (I shared with others in Kenai and then worked with 12 kids for 10 hours per day during the summer) and I can adjust my client schedule accordingly for pumping.
Okay, enough complaining and worrying. Madyson is getting amazingly big and is changing a lot. I am convinced that she smiled at me for the first time on Tuesday, even though some people would say that's too early for smiling. She sleeps fairly well at night, and it's rare that I have to wake up more than 2 times to feed her. HOWEVER, as many of you know, Caitlyn still doesn't sleep through the night so most nights I'm up a good portion of the night with one or the other or BOTH. Last night I woke Madyson up at around 11:00 to eat, then Caitlyn work up at 11:30 and she was awake until about 2:30 since she took a late nap and missed dinner. Nothing like feeding your child a bowl of Cheerioes at 1:45 a.m. Madyson was then up shortly after 5:00 to eat and Caitlyn woke up soon after and we've been up ever since. Who needs sleep?!?
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Aaah, the dread of returning to work. I DO remember how that felt. If it's any consolation, it wouldn't be any easier in 2 more months...or two more years. A mommy's natural place is to be with her babies at whatever age. BUT - there is hope! The anticipation of returning to work is usually much worse than ACTUALLY returning to work.
p.s. If you want any advice about the pumping and working, let me know. I don't want to offer unwelcome suggestions :)
p.p.s
That looks like a real smile in picture #1 of Madyson. Don't listen to what anyone says; we know a real smile when we see one. Logan was 8 weeks old before his first smile...and then they were pretty infrequent. Carter started smiling at 4 weeks (and hasn't stopped!)
Love seeing how much Madyson is changing over these 1st few weeks! So glad you're blogging these day!!!
Sorry about the daycare woes! I'd encourage trying to bottlefeed every other feeding. Had the same feeding/daycare/bottle issues w/ Avery...lasted only a few days. Think she realized she wouldn't get food any other way.
Post a Comment